Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Adventures of Elfabit Victor, Week 1

The very first time I saw Elf on the Shelf, I knew I had to have him.  I'm not even the least bit ashamed to admit that as a mother - that mom - this is the kind of stuff I live for. (Ok, I'm a little bit ashamed but I'm letting my freak flag fly). 

He arrived on our doorstep the day after Thanksgiving - sent from Santa!  - and the kids were instantly smitten.  I knew they would be.  They named him Elfabit (Em's contribution, which is a play off of "alphabet"- tell me that's not creative?!) Victor (Narls' contribution).

 

He's been causing mischief ever since.  


Both kids, who are heavy sleepers and require lots of early morning coaxing to get out of bed (well on school days.  On the weekends they're up super bright & early. Isn't that weird?), have jumped out of bed each morning to hunt this dude down.


They talk about the unusual situations he gets himself into and honestly, I'm not really sure what they think about him.


There was one night when Em was being particularly difficult in the bath and I mentioned Elfabit Victor, who was down in the living room, was listening and he was going to report her behavior back to Santa.  Narls said very matter-of-factly, "Mom, he can't hear through walls.  And anyway, he's not real. He's just a doll."

"Huh?" was my bright reply.  I was partly shocked but mostly proud. Narls is a very critical thinker, which I absolutely adore about him.  "How do you explain all the crazy things he's been getting into then?"


"I haven't figured that part out yet" was his simple reply.


Right now he's pacified that it's "Santa's magic" that brings Elf to life each night.  Either that or he's pacifying me by pretending to believe. 


The kids loved all of Elf's shenanigans, except for the night he made flour angels.  "HE USED THE LAST OF OUR PANCAKE FLOUR!"  We have priorities in this house and homemade pancakes rank high.


Em's not sure what she thinks about him.  She eyes Elfabit with a bit of suspicion and mostly observes from a safe distance.  She's like that with everybody though, so the elf isn't taking it too personal.   


"Oh mumma! He's a real good colorer, just like you!"
Huh, weird ;)

1 comment:

  1. I know I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I hope I'm 1/2 as good as you when I become a mom. I love you and everything you do. You're an amazing woman and I am so proud to be able to call you my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete