Friday, December 2, 2011

Countdown to Christmas

We brought out our Countdown to Christmas garland.  I'm hesitant to call it a advent calendar, because well, it's not a calender.


It's a bunch of felt strips, covered in pretty fabric and secured with velcro, that I made last year. 


And like last year, each day we unstrap a ring and find Christmas-themed activity that we can look forward to doing that day.


The kids know when they unstrap the final ring that Christmas is the next morning.


I spent the evening a few nights ago, arranging the rings according to our schedule, matching the movie ones (Grinch, Rudolph, Frosty) to the nights those shows are televised, and the gift-buying ones to a payday, and the snowy ones (building a snowman, going sledding) to a weekend day.

It's serious business, this garland.  
And then it was hung.


Last night's ring, the first one of the season, is one of my favorites.


Only three glasses because Clay's in New York for work. 
I much prefer four glasses.

3 comments:

  1. I wish I was crafty and amazing like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did 'Christmas Garland' too, but not as elaborate. I love the activity idea! I think we will have to do that next year! We made a guitar 'Topper' and Spencer has been loving counting down the days after we cut each one. My very uncrafty self has been bitten by the craft bug :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I was wondering when reading if you strategically placed them in order. ;)

    ReplyDelete