Sunday, December 16, 2012

Broken Hearted


Clay and I just got back from celebrating Christmas with his side of the family. 

We spent the night there, the kiddos played their hearts out with their cousins, Santa came, we exchanged amazing gifts, we ate good food. But my mind kept drifting away. To Connecticut. And my eyes would fill up with tears and my heart would ache and I'd meet my husband's eyes and he'd know because he's feeling the exact same way. And although we didn't speak about it, I think every adult in that house we feeling it. There was a somberness amongst us that has never been there before.

To think that our beautiful and bright and curious and cherished children could just be taken away in an instant is too much for my heart to bear. I hugged my kids tighter, let them stay up later, overlooked some sassy words... just so thankful that they are here.

I cannot imagine the pain the families in Newtown, Connecticut are experiencing. I am so, so sorry for everyone affected by this tragedy. 

So very sorry.

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to this post so much. It has affected me more than I thought it could. I am having a hard time with it and I am just an outsider. Like you, I cannot imagine what the families and community are going through. To be one of the parents who rushed to the school to find out their baby didn't make it just overcomes me with emotion. I too have let some things slide. I feel anxious for my babies to come home after school and hug them extra tight.

    -Rebecca Fisher

    ReplyDelete
  2. No parent should EVER have to bury a child, A CHILD, EVER! There are no words. Really. This is something those parents thought would never happen to their kids, the same thought I usually have....I no longer have those innocent thoughts.

    ReplyDelete